I received Ph.D. degree from the Faculty of Information Technology, Monash University, Australia for the thesis titled "A Novel Distance-Dependent Thresholding Strategy for Block-based Performance Scalability and True Object Motion Estimation". Master of Science degree with a specialization in Digital Signal Processing was obtained from Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia (UKM), Malaysia. I received Bachelor of Science (Hons.) degree in Electrical and Electronic Engineering from Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology (BUET), Bangladesh.
I am a member of the School of Multimedia and Information Technology of Southern Cross University (SCU), Coffs Harbour, NSW 2450, Australia. Prior to joining SCU, I was working with Monash University, Australia, University of ULM, Germany, and Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia (UKM), Malaysia. Before turning into a full time academic, I was working with two multi-national companies: Siemens, Germany and Bengal Estate Limited, Bangladesh.
My Research Interests
I have been actively engaged in research in the areas of video coding and compression, object based video indexing application, video shot detection. Electronic health and telemedicine applications. I am also exploring research in the areas including video streaming, video over mobile phone, video over ATM networks, artificial intelligence, pattern recognition, multimedia information retrieval etc.
2. Video Compression for medical video transmission through wireless networks.
3. Image compression for medical imaging application.
Student Research Opportunity:
Students interested in pursuing research towards an Honours, Masters, or PhD degrees are welcome to contact me for further information.
Referred Journal Publications
1. G. Sorwar, M. Murshed, and L. Dooley “A Fully Adaptive Distance-dependent Thresholding Search (FADTS) Algorithm for Performance-management Motion Estimation,” accepted IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, August 2006.
2. G. Sorwar, M. Murshed, and L. Dooley, “Filtering of Block Motion Vectors for Use in Motion-based Video Indexing and Retrieval”, IEICE Transactions on Fundamentals", Vol. E88-A, No. 10, 2593-2599, October 2005.
3. G. Sorwar, M. Murshed, and L. Dooley, “Fast Block-based True Motion Estimation using Variable Distance Dependent Thresholds in the Full-Search Algorithm”, The Journal of Research and Practice in Information Technology (JRPIT), Australian Computer Society, Vol. 36, No. 3, pp. 157-169, 2004.
4. G. Sorwar and A. Abraham, “DCT based texture classification using soft computing approach”, Malaysian Journal of Computer Science (MJCS), vol. 17, No. 1, pp. 13-23, 2004.
5. G. Sorwar and S. Samad, "Design and Optimization of Ladder Wave Digital Filters" Malaysian Journal of Computer Science, vol. 10, no. 2, pp 82-86, 1997.
Referred Conference Publications
1. Sadat, G. Sorwar, and M. U. Chowdhury, “Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) based Event Notification System Architecture for Telemedicine Applications,” 5th IEEE/ACIS International Conference on Computer and Information Science, pp. 214-218, Honolulu, Hawaii, July 10-12, 2006.
2. G. Sorwar and M. Murshed, “Fast and Adaptive Block-based Motion Estimation for Video Coding,” accepted in Twenty-first International Conference Image and Vision Computing New Zealand, IVCNZ 2006, November 27-29, 2006, Great Barrier Island, New Zealand.
3. G. Sorwar “Adaptive-centre Candidate Decimation Distance-dependent Thresholding Search for Motion Estimation,” Proc. in IEEE Third Int. conf. on Information Technology and Applications, Sydney, Australia, Vol. 1, pp. 674-678, July, 2005.
4. G. Sorwar, M. Murshed, and L. Dooley “Fully Adaptive Performance Scalable Block-based Motion Estimation,” accepted IEEE Fifth International Conference on Information, Communications and Signal Processing (ICICS 2005), Bangkok, Thailand, December 6-9, 2005.
5. S. Mahmudul Huq and G. Sorwar “Comparison of Congestion Control Mechanisms of Stream Control Transmission Protocol and Transmission Control Protocol,” Proc. in 4th international Conference on Information Technology in Asia (CITA05), pp. 107-111, Kuching, Sarawak, Malaysia, 12 – 15 December 2005.
6. G. Sorwar, M. Murshed, and L. Dooley "Filtering of Block Motion Vectors for use in Motion-based Video Indexing and Retrieval,” accepted to IEEE Pacific Rim Conference on Multimedia, Tokyo Waterfront City, Japan, No. of Pages 6, Nov. 30- Dec. 3, 2004.
7. G. Sorwar, "Adaptive-centre Diamond Search Distance-dependent Thresholding Search for Fast and Performance-scalable Motion Estimation," accepted to the 6th IASTED International Conference on signal and image processing, No. of Pages 6, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA, August 23-25, 2004.
8. G. Sorwar, M. Murshed, and L. Dooley, " Adaptive Centre Distance-dependent Thresholding Search for Fast Motion Estimation," accepted in 7th International Symposium on Digital Signal Processing and Communication Systems (DSPCS’2003), & 2nd Workshop on the Internet, Telecommunications and Signal Processing (WITSP'2003),Gold Coast, Australia, Dec. 8-11, 2003.
9. G. Sorwar, M. Murshed, and L. Dooley, " Fast Global Motion Estimation using Iterative Least-Square Technique," accepted in Fourth International Conference on Information, Communications & Signal Processing and Fourth IEEE Pacific-Rim Conference On Multimedia 15-18 December 2003, Singapore.
10. G. Sorwar, M. Murshed, and L. Dooley A New Strategy for Adaptive Search Motion Estimation in Real World Video Coding Application, International Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing (ICASSP 2003), Hong Kong, 6-10 April, 2003.
11. G. Sorwar, M. Murshed, and L. Dooley, "Distance dependent thresholding search for fast motion estimation in real world video coding application," In the Proc. of IEEE Asia-Pacific Conference on Circuits and System (APCCAS'02), Kartika Plaza Hotel, Bali, Indonesia, vol. 2, pp. 519-524, 2002.
12. G. Sorwar, M. Murshed, and L. Dooley, " Content-Based Image Retrieval Based on Color Histogram And DCT “, accepted to international Workshop on Intelligent Knowledge Management Techniques (I-KOMAT’ 2002), 16, 17 & 18 September 2002 Podere d'Ombriano, Crema, Italy.
13. G. Sorwar, M. Murshed, and L. Dooley, "Fast block-based true motion estimation using distance dependent thresholds (DTS)," In the Proc. of the 6th International Conference on Signal Processing (ICSP'02), Beijing, China, vol. 2, pp. 937-940, 2002.
14. G. Sorwar, M. Murshed, and L. Dooley, "A Novel Filter For Block-Based Object Motion Estimation", proc. in Digital Image Computing-Techniques and Applications (DICTA), January 21-22, 2002, Melbourne, Australia.
15. G. Sorwar, M. Murshed, and L. Dooley, “Modified full-search block-based motion estimation algorithm with distance dependent thresholds”, accepted in International Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing (ICASSP 2002), Orlando, Florida, May 13-17, 2002.
16. G. Sorwar, M. Murshed, and L. Dooley, “Integrated Technique with Neurocomputing for Temporal Video Segmentation”, in First International Workshop on Hybrid Intelligent Systems (HIS'01), pp. 159-167, December 2001, Adelaide, South Australia.
17. G. Sorwar, M. Murshed, and L.S. Dooley, "Block-Based True Motion Estimation Using Distance Dependent Thresholded Search”, in proc. of 14th International Conference on Computer Applications in Industry and Engineering (CAINE-2001), 2001, USA.
18. G.Sorwar, A. Abraham and L. Dooley, "Texture Classification Based on DCT and Soft Computing", in proc. The 10th IEEE International Conference on Fuzzy Systems, December 2001, Melbourne, Australia.
19. G. Sorwar and M. Chowdhury, "Designing Wave Digital Filters (WDF) with Finite Word Length Coefficient in Time and Frequency Domain", published in 14th International Conference on Computer Applications in Industry and Engineering (CAINE-2001), pp. 250-253, 27-30 November 2001, Las Vegas, USA.
20. G. Sorwar and L. S. Dooley, "Optimisation Of Coefficient Word Length Of Lattice Wave Digital Filters In The Time Domain", International Conference on Electrical and Computer Engineering (ICECE 2001), pp. 82-85, 2001.
21. G. Sorwar, and L.S. Dooley, "A Survey on Content-Based Video Representation and Retrieval Techniques”, International Conference on Electrical and Computer Engineering (ICECE 2001), pp. 19-24, 2001.
22. G. Sorwar and S. Samad, "Designing Unit Element Wave Digital Filters with Finite Word Length Coefficients", International. Symposium on Audio, Video, Image Processing and Intelligence Applications, in conjunction with the 10th International Conference on System Research, Informatics and Cybernetics, vol. 5, pp. 122-126, 1998, Germany.
23. G. Sorwar and S. Samad, "Optimization of Coefficient Wordlength of Ladder Wave Digital Filters in Time Domain", IEEE International Workshop on Intelligent Signal Processing and Communication Systems (ISPACS’97), S24.5.1-4, 1997.
Teaching @ Southern Cross university
ISY00324-Digital Media I (Images, Text & Interface Design)
ISY00325– Digital Media II (Audio-Video Resources and Linear Scriptwriting)
CSC00235– Applications Development
ISYISY00221/CSC00125- Introduction of Information Technology/Introduction of Computing
Previous Teaching @ Monash University, Australia
Multimedia Concept and Applications (GCO3822)
Multimedia Development (GCO2823)
Programming Fundamentals (GCO1810/GCO9801)
Data Communication and Networks (GCO3812)
Computer Systems and Applications (GCO1851)
Computer Technology (GCO1815)
Internet Commerce (GCO5806)
Electronic Commerce Systems, Analysis and Design (GCO2601)
Operating System (GCO2814)